10 June 2010

Running Update


This week I am back in my hometown of Huntington, West Virginia.  I'm visiting family and mostly spending time with my Pappaw.  He was diagnosed with prostate cancer which has spread to the bone and his time is ticking.  He's 84, a WWII vet, and one of those members of "the greatest generation."  He's a hero in my book.

On to running.  Its been slow getting back into the grove of things, hence my absence of posts.  I've finally built back my five mile base, thanks be to God.  And now I feel like I can seriously start focusing on speed work and longer distances. The West Virginia 5K Championship is coming to Huntington in two weeks and I am registered to run in it.  I am mainly looking at this race as an opportunity to train for speed.  My PR for a 5K is something like 25:00-- nothing to write home about!

There's seems to be a resurgent running community growing in Huntington, check out their Tri-State Racer webpage.  Huntingon now boasts the Marshall University Marathon held in the fall and now in its seventh year.  There are efforts to reverse the notoriety of Huntington being the country's unhealthiest city.

0 comments:

Post a Comment